Friday, July 07, 2006

When my ship comes in...


This last week has been rather eventful. My sister arrived precisely four hours after she was supposed to. Thanks to the bus company! Won't go into that again...

Megan (my sister) is due to leave on Sunday evening. This is first time that she has spent any time exclusively with me (and Marisa and my brother's girlfriend). She's a hit among my friends and is by far the easiest guest that anybody would ever hope for.

This weekend will hopefully prove to be the start of what might be the beginning of something great. I go to the doctor tomorrow for a check-up on my rather smelly feet!! Marisa and my sister have complained enough that the decision was made to send me. It might do some good. But that's not the big and interesting news. :) There's potential for myself and a friend to work on a project together. It looks like it could turn into something big.

Last year I had the unfortunate experience of not having too much to do at work. Somewhere around November my actual work dried up and I had to find something to keep myself busy with. Not too pleasant. This carried on for about 4 months. Then I was assigned to a project that promised light at the end of my very long and dark tunnel. Its a boat design project where I'm responsible for the control system thereof.

When I tell people that is what I am doing and that we sometimes go out to dams to test the scaled-down model of the boat then you realise how cool this work actually is. Problem is this...the project sounds awesome, almost like science fiction. But on the ground level you have to deal with the issues that make up this project. I haven't had a team leader or supervisor for about 4 months. I don't need a babysitter, but a bit of structured guidance never hurt anyone.

Enough moaning! Well...just one more gripe!! I'm sort of finished with the current phase of development. Testing is busy taking place. But when we're not testing...I need to find something else to keep myself busy with. Wedding planning and catching up on correspondence comes to mind. As well as extensive "research"!! :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home