Thursday, June 29, 2006

And what a start!


I've got to find the discipline to obey the alarm. I've been late nearly everyday for the past 4 weeks.

My exercise routine went up in smoke as soon as I got sick. That was about 2 weeks ago. Even though its only a few push-ups, sit-ups and some other weird exercise where you lie on your back and spread your legs open and closed whilst keeping them above the ground, it did seem to help. I'm trying to fit into a few more of the pants in my closet. Cashflow is at a bit of a low when it comes to clothing purchases! :)

Despite the minor issues (almost insignificant when one thinks of it!) I do have some great news...

Marisa and I got engaged last week!! It was on Thursday night. I met her at our usual coffee shop in town. After wolfing down the piping hot red latte we started walking back to my car. I parked rather far away which wasn't too unusual a thing for me to do. I did however misjudge the lighting for this time of year. We finished our drinks in town at about 18:30 which meant that darkness was coming at a rather rapid pace. Not quite what I had anticipated!

Plan A was to ask her in the Botanical Gardens. We've climbed over their gates before after closing time so this wouldn't be too new an exercise. There wasn't any light at the designated spot though... Forgot about that!

Plan B was to ask her at the spot where I asked her out the first time. Perfect!!!!! There was light! There was a bench. Even a tree above the bench. Since all the students are away for vacation, it leaves this spot at Marisa's old university residence very private.

A small tip for those planning on popping that big question... Plan ahead! Have some sort of backup plan. From what I've heard from other people who've been in similar situations, your prospective fiancee might seem slightly perturbed; perhaps somewhat irritated, with you insisting that you go to a particular spot. "Let's walk around the corner love." "Why don't we climb just a bit higher - we'll get a better view!" These are some of the common attempts. And nearly every good soldier will fall victim to the probing of the likes of: "Why are we here?", "Where are we going?", etc. Just press on. The reward is great!

Anyhow...I digress. Marisa wanted to go to the nearby student center for refreshments. Didn't want to force the issue when there were other more pressing needs. We eventually made it to the Huis ten Bos gardens. We chatted a bit and I expressed my appreciation of her as well as my love for her. I told her that I wanted to spend the rest of my life with her...stuttered a bit and then asked the question that so many have asked before me: "Will you marry me?" Even though there is no doubt in your mind that there is any other answer to that question, there is still relief at the correct reply... and then elation! She said YES!!!

We both proceded to get some sort of jaw cramp from all the grinning! We sms'd and phoned nearly everbody in our address books! Excluding those that really don't care - the town library and my car service centre!

I'm very excited about this new chapter in our lives. God has blessed us thus far.

5 Comments:

Blogger __ said...

Congrats again :)

12:02 am  
Blogger Just-ify said...

Eeeeeeeeeexcellent Smithers, Excellent! :-)

10:03 am  
Blogger Queery said...

Welcome to the world of BLOG. May you be hooked for at least 2 months.

4:12 pm  
Blogger Queery said...

Ps, congrats

4:25 pm  
Blogger Titania said...

I only met you two days ago, but having heard alot from Justi-fy I also want to congratulate you and wish you all the best!

2:22 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home